Tuesday, January 3, 2012

We Survived the Holidays-Gluten Free


We made it through it all the holiday parties, all the traveling, without any gluten problems.  I consider that a mini miracle considering the kindergarten Thanksgiving party was a disaster (the one where my kid with Celiac ate a gluten-filled cookie so he wouldn't feel left out).


But I didn't do it alone.  That whole it takes a village thing was in full effect.  From my son's amazing kindergarten teacher who said "Let's just have fruits and vegetables at our party, it will be great, they don't care about the food anyway."  And you know what?  The kids weren't upset about the menu and look how beautiful it was.  What a gift.  I feel very lucky that my son has this kind, inclusive teacher.


A classroom mom made gluten free, sugar free cupcakes (there is a little girl in the class that has diabetes) and the kids REALLY loved those.  

Christmas Eve was spent at my mother-in-law's who called ahead to make sure certain spices were gluten free.  Visiting my dad in Pittsburgh the week after Christmas went well too, he had gone gluten free shopping and had plenty of GF pasta and bread that JT could eat.  It was so nice not to worry.


It was also nice to have support and understanding.  It was nice to have the village.  
No one saying "well, it's not that bad if he has a little gluten" or "one cookie won't kill him, whatever, his throat won't close up or anything."  


The holidays were successful because my village didn't judge or make any of us feel uncomfortable.  


We even made post-Christmas Christmas cookies.  And they were good.  Really good.  "THESE are gluten free?" we all kept asking in dis-belief.  Yup, they were that good.




A GOOD READ:
This is an oldish post from October, but I love it.  I have been a big Joel Stein fan for a long time.  But it turns out Joel Stein has a wife and she is funny and lovable too...Cassandra Barry.  She and Joel have a blog on Babble Voices and they have a kid with a peanut allergy.  This was a great post she wrote and it makes me grateful for my kid's teacher and school.
 "My kid's nut allergy is bringing you down"

No comments: