Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Here's a story...

Here's the story of a man named...okay I was going to start out as a comparison to The Brady Bunch.  But we aren't that family.  Our story is not about blending kids from first marriages and we don't have an Alice and even though I think we are cool, not sure if we could carry off a dance routine like the Bradys.


Our story is about giving up something, discovering something and coming together.  And funny enough, it revolves around gluten or rather giving up gluten.


When I tell people that my son, JT who is 5, has Celiac disease, most of them say "oh it is such a good time to be gluten free, it's everywhere."  I nod and grit my teeth.  They have a point, but they also have no idea. No idea that gluten is in so many things.  That you have to be super vigilant about food, toothpaste, shampoos, medicines and more to keep your kid healthy.  And bottom line, gluten cupcakes (pie, cakes, bread, etc.) taste better no matter how good the gluten-free recipe is.


People don't know, and honestly I don't even know, how much Celiac disease affects people.  Everyday they (the researchers, scientists and such) are learning new ways the body and mind are affected by gluten intolerance.  I will swear on a stack of bibles that JT's speech delay is genetically linked to his Celiac gene. Scientific proof?  Not yet.  But seriously, everyday.  Everyday, they are learning new things about what gluten can do to a person that suffers from Celiac disease.


Gluten free does seem to be a trendy thing.  The first time in my life I am trendy.  Of course it can't be some trend like skinny jeans.  And just like skinny jean haters (me included) there are gluten free haters.  People think it is just that, a fad.  And that is where I have to say Step Off, Suck It or a whole hell of a lot worse.  


You see haters, or doubters, my son would gladly eat gluten and be a more "normal" part- of-the-group kid in kindergarten.  He would be beyond happy if his mom didn't make a big deal at every restaurant ensuring the gluten-freeness of their so-called gluten-free menu.  


But he can't because one little crumb or bite of a cookie, makes him double over in pain. He sometimes vomits profusely or has diareeah for days.  Gluten makes him get lost in a fog, lose his balance and sleeps off and on until the it leaves his body for good.  He misses school, hockey practice and precious time with friends and family.  


The decision for our whole family to go gluten free happened mostly because my youngest was 6 months old and I was overwhelmed and didn't think I could keep the house organized as gluten and non-gluten.  But it quickly grew into something more.


Our home became the safe place, a place where JT belonged and didn't feel different. It became a lesson to all of us in teamwork, being supportive and sacrifice for people we love.


The kids are not perfect.  During choir practice at church, instead of sacrificing her gluten-filled donut snack because her brother can't have one, my 7-year-old daughter Lucy gladly says "I'll have JT's."  And proceeds to gobble it down.  


But we are doing our best.  Most of the time.


Last Friday, JT got off the bus and said, "Mommy, I had gluten today."  At his kindergarten Thanksgiving feast.  My heart sunk.  I had taken every precaution, I had spoken with the teacher, emailed reminders, sent in safe foods for him to eat, sat with him and had the talk, making sure I made the ever-important eye contact.  But JT felt left out.  He asked a buddy for a cookie and he ate it.


Within hours he was crying from stomach pain and then came the vomiting.  


He is so young to get this whole eating-this-will-make-you-sick idea.  He just wants to be normal and fit in.  It doesn't help that he still is a bit speech delayed and has trouble with numbers.  Poor kid just wanted a damn cookie.
One tuckered out little turkey, after a kindergarten Thanksgiving feast where he was glutenized.


And that is why a gluten-free, worry-free home is so important.  So we will keep trying, keep learning and keep growing as a family. As one big gluten-free family.



No comments: