Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A Wedding Story

My son JT, who has Celiac Disease, was the ringbearer at a wedding  on Friday night.  He was very nervous and reluctant in the weeks leading up to the wedding.  But he really delivered an incredibly adorable performance during the actual ceremony.

The bride had called last week and graciously offered to have a special meal made for JT at the reception. "Don't you even think twice about this," I told her remembering all the things that are on a bride's mind the week before the big day.  "Thinking about what to feed JT is what we do everyday, don't worry, we got this."

Sure I was trying to help her out, but there was more to it.  I don't trust any restaurant or reception hall.  Maybe one day I will, but right now, I am just not there.  It just isn't worth it to me to eat out and have him get sick for a week because someone forgot about cross contamination or forgot to mention a gluten-filled ingredient.

So, I prepared pasta that he loves and special gluten free brownies to take with us to the reception.  I really believed that whole "we got this" statement I had boldly told the bride.

The reception was a fabulously prepared feast with course after course of gluten-y, delicious food.  JT was fine with his gluten free spaghetti, but done with it pretty fast. Same with the gluten free brownies, enjoyed them, but done well before everyone else even finished dinner. He sat there in his sweet little tux and watched as the rest of the table slurped up noodles and Italian wedding soup, devoured breaded chicken and seasoned roast beef, and passed out dinner roll after dinner roll.  


"Isn't this the best soup you have ever had?" said someone at our table.  "I can't get enough of these rolls," said another.  "Seriously, I am loving this food," exclaimed yet another.  It was like a scene from a movie or tv show, where everyone talks about the subject you don't want anyone to talk about.  






With each passing dish hovering over my son's head I felt like I could hear scary JAWS-like music in the background.  I totally did NOT HAVE THIS.



So, I did what any desperate mother would do, I reached for the king-sized Hershey bar in my purse, took my son to the lobby and let him have at it. He seemed happy, but I felt like a total failure.


So, again I tell you this blog is not a place where I preach answers to readers.  It is more of a place to learn from my mistakes.  Do as I do not kind of thing.

My hope is that I learn too.  Learn to trust restaurants a little more or at the very least prepare more food when going to a big event.  And of course I hope I learn to relax a little.  During dinner I was so distressed I was ready to call it a night.  But once the food aspect of the evening was over, we all had so much fun. JT was a rockstar on the dance floor.

And someday, I hope that the statement "we got this" is true.

No comments: